Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Does anyone else have difficulty extracting contact lenses from their eyeballs?

I'm trying to wear contact lenses again.

I haven't worn them for about three years and when I did wear them, it was sporadic and only lasted about three months.

Since I'm older and wiser now, I thought I would give them another shot.

I had an appointment with an optometrist and received a new glasses/contact lens prescription. Of course, she wanted to ascertain that I indeed had worn contacts in the past and made me demonstrate my ability to insert the contacts into/onto my eyes. It only took me about 5 minutes per eye-which was a little embarrassing-and I left wearing my trial pair.

About an hour ago I extracted the contact lenses from my eyes and it took about the same time as the insertion of the contacts.

And now my right eye is all red and irritated.

SOMEBODY, PLEASE, WHAT IS THE TRICK?? Is it really going to take me 20 minutes of my day to insert and extract contacts?

I had problems with this the first time around 3 years ago, hence the reason I stopped wearing them. What am I doing wrong?

Lesley, remember in middle school when you tried to put those colored contacts in my eyes and it became such a desperate situation that you had to pin me to the floor and you still couldn't get the contacts in my eyes? Maybe I should have taken that as a sign from God that I'm not destined to wear contacts...

But destined or not, I am determined. Glasses just make the backs of my ears and the bridge of my nose too sore after a 12 hour shift. I need this change!

5 comments:

Lesley said...

Oh Rach! I wish I had some good advice to give you! Maybe that's why I am a full time glasses girl!! I think I blocked out the memory of the colored contacts from middle school...too traumatic, haha!

Stephanie Tobler said...

Do you not like touching your eye? Do you hold your upper eye lid? Jakob and I are 24/7 contact people. They are just so convenient. Good luck with the switch!

Janet said...

It does get easier, don't give up!! I have had mine since middle school. Just remember you can't hurt your eye, just hold your upper eye lid like Steph said and look straight forward, never looking back! :)

Good luck :), I can show you how I do it in a couple of weeks in Vegas :).

Rach and Clark said...

thanks, Janet and Steph. I would indeed like a full tutorial in Vegas :) It's like my upper lid just can't be tamed.

Kelsey said...

I always pull my bottom lid down - probably shouldn't do that I'm just making myself look older faster. :( I use my ring finger to pull down under my eye and then put them on with my middle while looking up and away. My eyes are too dry to wear them anymore -I need some drops. Oh glasses are not always fun but they are easy. I'm sure Steph and Janet will help you become a pro real soon.