Saturday, September 26, 2009

Glamorous

Or not.

Nursing actually isn't glamorous AT ALL.

Take my current shift for example.

I have cleaned up one patient SEVEN times. And it isn't even 2 am yet.

SEVEN times.

The pooh has been loose and runny and outright nasty. He probably has c. diff.

Clostridium difficile = bacteria that causes runny, gag-or-throw-up nasty smelling pooh.

I called the doc to get an order for a rectal tube. I don't need to explain this one; the important thing to know is that it drains pooh.

I tried to place the tube. My charge nurse tried. No luck. And the patient was in so much pain because a.) a huge tube has been folded to fit in his bum and b.) he has hemorrhoids.

No rectal tube system = patient that continues to pooh...a steady stream that just never seems to end. Beautiful visual image, don't you think?

Oh, the joys of nursing.

5 comments:

Catherine said...

Wow.. thanks for that!.. what a way to wake up in the morning!... they can't possibly pay you enough!... Heaven bless the nurses in this world!

Em and Ms said...

Ha ha, you can tell I'm pregnant. When I first read "nursing" I was thinking of breastfeeding. As I continued reading that was obviously wrong. Let's just say I'd rather clean up my kids' poo.

Stephanie Tobler said...

Graphic! You are a trooper!

Janet said...

I know what that can be like! YUCK! Do you guys not have CNA's on staff?

Rach and Clark said...

we do have CNAs but there is one CNA for like 15 patients. And one CNA can't clean up a patient that can hardly move.