When we initially "moved" down to Houston to conduct the "full house experiment" in early September 2014, we had determined that we would likely be staying until late November/early December. Those plans were thwarted when I got a great job lead and had to meet with a potential employer up in Pennsylvania mid November. So, we knew before we left for Costa Rica that as soon as we got back, we would have to leave Houston within 2 days.
When we got back from our Central American vacation, Janet surprised us with a delicious curry dinner and a little birthday celebration (since we would be leaving literally a day before my birthday). It was beyond sweet! Janet might literally be the most thoughtful person I know. She's always thinking about others, putting together cute gifts for people. Thank you, Janet and family for the sweet birthday party and for the cute gifts! We now own some magnet dolls and kid books---just in case we ever have any children visiting :)
The next day we had a lot of family bonding time in the Tobler home. Lucia and I played several games of Sequence; Clark looked on in a perplexed manner.
That night we attempted to get one, just one, good picture with the kids.
And we read some bedtime stories together.
The next day we packed up our car and had to leave. We almost took Benicio with us, but we ran out of room.
Saying good-bye was pretty emotional. At least for the female adult Toblers. THANK YOU so much, Chad and Janet, for your unyielding generosity, hospitality and overall desire to have us live with you. It was a successful experiment; we will always treasure these two months we spent with you and the kids. We love you all very much!
And here are some photos I took of the kids during our last days with them.
Lucia, dressed as a pirate/Florida cheerleader/ballerina.
Mr. Benicio Vidal
These two cuties being nice to each other...kind of
Miss Violeta, in her Florida cheer leading uniform after school!
Oh, and the costume changes did not stop. Lucia then put on her shark costume. Too funny!
Benicio emulating his uncle. (I think these last two were actually taken before Costa Rica, but I couldn't not post them.)
Some snuggle time with the little guy.
And so we left, driving from Houston to Oxford, MS on the first day. We got in late, so the next day--my birthday--we got to walk around the Ole Miss campus. Not too shabby of a way to spend my birthday!
The football stadium, under construction. I think they may be putting in parking garages but I'm not entirely sure.
Ahhhh, The Grove. I saw The Roots, Jason Mraz, and some other acts play here. I also tailgated here with my friends/teammates before the few football games we were able to catch (due to traveling for cross country). So much nostalgia....such great memories made on this campus!
Fall in Mississippi. I'm pretty happy we didn't entirely miss the leaves changing this fall.
Hefley Hall. The female dormitory. Spent two good years here.
Self explanatory.
After our self guided campus tour, I insisted that we go to Handy Andy for some of the best bbq I've ever had. When I first visited Ole Miss on a recruiting trip in high school, the coach took me to this place and I think this food is what may have convinced me to attend Ole Miss. I'd been telling Clark about this place for about 10 years. He finally had an opportunity to see what my fuss was all about.
I mean, just look at it. Best birthday meal ever.
Later that same day we drove up to Nashville where we had a lot of people to see! Two of my childhood friends live there with their little families, and the next morning we got together for breakfast! From left to right: Clark, me, Lesley, Whitney, Vaughn, and little Marlo. Lesley left her husband and little daughter Avery at home.
Whitney and Vaughn actually have a store front at the Nashville Farmer's Market where they have a bakery! It's called the Sweet Stash, and it's legit. Whitney is quite the baketress, and I'm still drooling over the pumpkin whoopie pie and variety of cupcakes she gave us to sample! Thank you again for trying to give us diabetes!
Damn that glare. These cupcakes are both beautiful and delicious.
And that afternoon we headed over to the Nashville Tobler's home! It was so so good to see Jake, Steph and Ethnie, and to finally meet the little big man Duke. I say he's little because, well, he was only about 15 months at the time. But that boy is a tank. He gonna be a football playa.
Jake let us ride around on his scooter. It was freezing out though, so we didn't last too long. But wow, what a rush! That thing may have gotten up to 25 mph with us both on it!
Clark was having a real good time.
Discussing gas mileage, steering mechanism, etc. But not really.
Ethnie didn't take too long to warm up to us after her nap! She's such a sweet little thing!
The two youngest Tobler brothers.
Counterfeit parents.
Steph spoiled us with some delicious yakisoba and then made me a cake for my birthday! I felt so dang spoiled...two sisters-in-law gave me a little birthday celebration this year...what more could a girl want? Seriously, it made me feel very special. THANK YOU so much for having us and spending the afternoon/evening with us! And thank you Steph, for these photos. We should have taken some to prove you were also there! I'm sorry I didn't think of it sooner.
So on we went the next day as we left Nashville for Fayettville, NC. Thank you to my dear friend Lesley for hosting us and allowing us to sleep so comfortably in their guest bed room!
We passed through the Smokey Mountains and Asheville, NC...which was so gorgeous to see in the fall.
This visit we finally captured some family photos for the NC Toblers. It's something we've tried to do on numerous occasions in the past but it always got put on the back burner. Well, this time Kim and I made sure it happened! I think we got some good ones of this good looking group.
Awww, just look at those adorable little faces!
And Clark had to sneak in to one just for good measure.
Thank you for letting us stay with you again, Kyle and Kim! We always have such a great time with you all, and we're so happy we were able to spend time with Joanne as well! You're just a quick 8 hours away, feel free to come up to visit us anytime!
So....then we drove from Fayetteville to Pennsylvania. To wrap things up, we lived in a hotel for over a week and I met with a dermatologist who has since decided to take me on as a provider at her office. We now live in a Philadelphia suburb called Phoenixville and are 5 miles from Valley Forge.
Clark thinks we're closer to the moon than Philadelphia though, that's how far we are from the city.
(It's 33 miles to Philly city center)

















2 comments:
So glad to got to see so many people! It was so great to see you! Hopefully it won't be so long until our next gathering!
I still get teary eyed looking at the last pic of you guys in the driveway. Miss you guys!
Post a Comment