Monday, October 29, 2012

Frankenstorm 2012

We're safe and sound. Whew, I'll bet you were worried.  Or maybe you have no idea what is going on over here on the East coast.  Apparently my brother and sister-in-law down in Alexandria just lost power.  I'm sure we'll face similar circumstances here in Philly in a couple of hours.  It's been pretty windy and rainy, but nothing majorly disconcerting. I'm just praying our windows don't blow out.  That would ruin my October.  Now that we finally have a sofa (we're grown ups!), I could see it getting destroyed by shards of glass.   There I go, letting my pessimistic mind get the best of me!
  I'm now behind on clinical hours due to Frankenstorm trying to roll her big ass through Philly.  Thanks, Sandy. Clinic was closed today and it's closed tomorrow.  Classes have also been cancelled for today and tomorrow. Bridges are now closed. Officials are keeping this city safe, that's for sure.
Poor Mr. Clark had to walk to work tonight.  He had the misfortune of being scheduled tonight, and he wouldn't allow me to drive him.  The winds weren't that bad, but he felt walking would be the safer than driving or biking.  He's planning on sleeping at the hospital in the morning when his shift ends.  I guess last year when the hurricane rolled through, cots were available at the hospital for employees. Chances are, he'll probably have to sleep in a room with 20 other people.  He was smart and brought ear plugs along, though.    

Welp, we finally had reason to tear the plastic off these containers and fill them up!  Yay for being prepared! To answer your question: no, we don't keep them filled because they are heavy and really hard to store when filled.  I realize it's probably the smart thing to do...

 Our tub is now filled just in case the water supply is disrupted and we even filled up some of our empty milk bottles.  Frozen containers of water in the freezer, too. Gosh, we done got all prepared up in here.  

Here's to hoping Sandy won't wreak havoc on this city.  For completely selfish reasons, I don't want to miss more clinical time and have to make up hours at the end of the semester! I also want our couch to remain in almost pristine condition!  
Here's to hoping this storm isn't as great and terrible as she's been made out to be.  I really hope everyone has a safe place to stay as she makes her way through.

UPDATE 10/30 am: the storm eased it's way through Philly.  Very anticlimactic (in a good way, of course). Pray for those affected by this storm, those that have been injured, the families who have lost loved ones.  We still have power unlike many on the East coast...

1 comment:

Janet said...

Rachel we are glad that you guys are doing well and good job with all the preparations! You are preparing like a true Floridian (who is use to several hurricanes) would do!
And that totally stinks for Clark, I hope he has a good rest. Praying that nothing will go wrong! Love you guys!