Sunday, May 29, 2011

Darling Harbour and the Sydney Aquarium

Clark and I both had Monday off this week.  Excellent.  So even though we had an eventful weekend at Nelson Bay, we decided to spice up the beginning of our week with a trip to Darling Harbour.  Our good friends Joanne and Ivan gave us their extra tickets to the Sydney Aquarium, and with expiration dates looming, we knew we had to take advantage and see the aquarium as soon as possible!

The giant ferris wheel at Darling Harbour.  Upon seeing this ferris wheel, an argument ensued.  Clark is sure this ferris wheel is larger than the ferris wheel in Frankfurt, Germany.  I don't think it is.  We rode the blasted thing in Frankfurt and it was massive.  Scott and Dagmara, any comment?  (Side with me, please.)

Obliging his wife and posing.

Part of downtown Sydney.

An odd looking bird creature.

A spiral/whirlpool inspired water fountain.

The FIRST Starbucks I've seen since being here! HA, Starbucks, you DON'T own the world!

Just outside of the aquarium.  I love the flags lining the monorail track.

I have to admit, as we first started going through the aquarium, I was disappointed.  The most impressive things to view were the Lego creations since all the fish looked like normal fish.



But finally, just when I was about to spit in disgust at the thought that Sydney had a super sucky aquarium, we descended to a couple of underwater tunnels...and the Sydney Aquarium totally redeemed itself!  In the first tunnel we saw this sea cow.  I actually don't even know what it is but the way it ate lettuce was intriguing.

And then we same upon the shark tunnels.  Which were actually super cool.

Such a special moment.

This photo would have been so awesome had Clark not yawned at the exact moment I took the picture.  His jaw looks totally jacked and dislocated. 

Much better, but the shark isn't as impressive.


In summation, I am glad we went to the aquarium.  The aquarium truly redeemed itself with the sharks.  Thanks Joanne and Ivan for being awesome and giving us your extra tickets.  We like free stuff.  We'll treat you to some ginger beer, don't you worry.

2 comments:

Em and Ms said...

I'm glad you guys post about all your adventures so I can live vicariously through you :) Seriously, every place you go is just gorgeous and it looks like you guys have so much fun! Oh, and I don't know about that ferris wheel, but I looked up the world's largest ones on Wikipedia and it was interesting--here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferris_wheel Supposedly they're supposed to build the next world's largest in Las Vegas!

Janet said...

Fun times!! So the sea cow is a Manatee, and they are all over the Florida waters :) Love the shark tunnel how cool.