Sunday, May 29, 2011

Nelson Bay

Last weekend we rode the train as far as it goes Northeast (approx 3.5 hours) to Newcastle.  From Newcastle, our friends Jade and Levi picked us up and took us to their holiday home in Nelson Bay, NSW, where they have just moved. It was such a relaxing weekend and the weather was perfect.  We were so glad to see Jade and Levi again and we're happy some other couples could come up for the weekend, too!

Ahhh, the water was so clear and refreshing!  I can't say that we got all the way in though. Our first full Day at Nelson Bay we walked 3k to the marina since Jade and Levi had to work.  

And on the way we saw a road sign with a dude pushing a car up a hill.  And we thought it was funny + picture worthy.

At the marina we spied one pelican perched perfectly (I should get a gold star for alliteration!) on a wooden beam.




I have never seen clearer water at a marina.  Yes, the Nelson Bay marina is small, but the water was still clear enough to see underwater life!


I wanted to get a good picture of our lunch, but unfortunately I have an impatient husband who doesn't like to pose for my pictures very much.  Fish and chips for Clark, and a side "salad" which turned out to be a tomato salad.  And Clark doesn't do well with raw tomatoes. Luckily his wife is part garbage disposal and eats anything but okra.  I indugled in a burger called, "the works."  

After lunch we craved ice cream but I refused to spend $6 for a single scoop of ice cream.  Ridiculous!  So we walked to the grocery store and bought a pack of 4 drumsticks for $7.50.  I love how we think sometimes.  And then we devoured all 4 drumsticks on our 3k trek back to the holiday home.

The next day we all woke up slowly but eventually made our way to a nearby Toboggan Park.  We took a tractor ride to a maze and took a couple of rides on the toboggan hill. 

This picture cracks me up.  Clark is making his signature rock and roll face, and Jade, unknowingly, is making a similar face!  The best part is she isn't even posing for the camera.

Getting our toboggan on.

You know I'm going fast when I have 80's hair with my bangs flying back!

Later that day we had a bbq near the water.  

Jade was nice enough to loan under-dressed Clark her blanket.  He wasn't well, you know.

Just beyond those grassy mounds is the Pacific.  

We had such a great time and we were so happy to be in the company of friends!  Thank you Jade and Levi for having us all crash at your super awesome holiday house in beautiful Nelson Bay!  We can't wait to see you guys again for Levi's party in June!

1 comment:

Janet said...

Love that clear blue H2O!