Monday, May 16, 2011

South coast adventure with the Canadian and the Russian

So we love to hang out with our friends, Joanne and Ivan.  Joanne is from East coast Canada and Ivan is from Russia.  They are pretty awesome and they are always up for an adventure. Which is great because we are always up for an adventure.  So our friendship just instantly makes sense.

Saturday we decided to drive down the coast an hour to Wollongong and then drive through the Kangaroo Valley (where we didn't even see a kangaroo) to Fitzroy Falls.  

Our first stop was at a scenic overlook which I have previously posted a picture of...sometime back in March or April.  However, my last photo of this overlook was dreary and grey.  This photo is so awesome it nearly takes my breath away.  Nearly.  

As you can see, I would have benefited from a hat.

Me and crazy JoJo.

Ivan and Joanne sabotaging the photo.  

After the scenic stop we drove for another 23 kilometers to Wollongong. 

On our walk to the lighthouse in Wollongong, Clark decided to show us all that he "still has it."  We may or may not have egged him on.  My question is, does that little girl in the right hand corner really think she's going to reach the monkey bars?  Really?! And why is she so strangely looking at my husband?

Riding a canon near the lighthouse.  I have no idea what purpose these canons actually served.  I didn't see a plaque of any sort and I didn't bother to look for one.

We are pretty graceful, didn't you know?  For the record, I am a huge fan of lighthouses.  For years I have yearned to live in one, preferably off the East coast in the US.  (I'm hinting again, Clark.  Take notice.)

Group photo without any signs of sabotage.  Thanks Clark, for letting me borrow your hat.

What do you really NOT  want to see as a backdrop to a beautiful beach? Smokestacks. 

Pretty birds that scared easily. 

On our way to the Kangaroo Valley we stopped in Berry where they have the Donut Van.  They fry up the best donuts here.  So, so tasty!  

The Kangaroo Valley.  I was so hoping to see a Wombat as caution signs for Wombats were everywhere.  I only saw one dead on the side of the road.  I think the wombat died of a skinned shoulder since it's internal organs all seemed to be contained (i.e. not all over the road).  I guess I'm kind of like a wombat in the sense that I too would give up if my shoulder got skinned up on asphalt.  

At Fitzroy Falls Joanne and I decided to play a little tennis in the parking lot.  But that was short lived as we didn't have much daylight left and we needed to see the falls!

Clark and Joanne dancing in place.  Ivan appearing to ignore his wife's awesome moves.

Fitzroy Falls.  Gosh dang, I love waterfalls.  I need to go to Iguazu Falls in Argentina, asap.


Someday, we'll successfully have a great jumping photo.  Oh yes, someday.


Thanks Joanne and Ivan for spending your Saturday with us!  We're so lucky to have friends like you here in Oz!  We are so looking forward to our Melbourne adventure with you two in June!

3 comments:

Janet said...

Wow, keep having a blast! Loving the pictures :)

Whitney and Vaughn May said...

Looks like SO much fun! I love waterfalls too -- beautiful photo. Glad you get to go part time soon, Rach...have fuN:)!!

The Mom Tobler said...

Love the scenic pictures but where's the picture of the dead Wombat...I'm a visual person. And now I have to google what a wombat looks like.
So glad you are having such a good time.