Before we moved to Australia back at the beginning of March, Clark and I decided that we would survive with the 'bare minimum.' We determined that we could do without furniture--all we would need is a bed to sleep on. So like I've mentioned in a previous post, we live in comparable crack-house quarters. A mattress on the floor with sheets and pillows. Recently we've added a blanket to the bedding ensemble since it's getting a bit chilly at night.
Thanks to the generosity of church members in the ward we now have a sturdy solid wood table (Really nice in fact. I would love to take it back to America but I can't even imagine the shipping cost!) and a TV that probably will never get plugged in. But man, the people are so giving/concerned here! We have tried to explain to people that we are choosing to live as minimalists; we are both employed and could purchase items if we wanted to. Nevertheless, they continue to offer us items anyway.
Recently we have realized that we do want to have our friends over to hang out and maybe even cook them a entire meal of food. Along the lines of our refusal to buy furniture, we also only bought the 'bare minimum' kitchen ware and utensils. Two plates, two bowls, two mugs, and the cheapest utensils that our local Reject Shop (similar to Big Lots) had to offer.
So now we're on a quest to get two more plates and two more bowls. We're moving up in the world. We recently bough a six pack of glass tumblers. One already broke so we're down to five. But they're kind of like real glasses. Sleek and slim.
In addition to purchasing more dinnerware, we have realized that we need places to sit. Without chairs our table has turned into a stacking table. Everything goes on it.
So the other week at the Reject Shop we dug deep into our pockets, cringed, and bought two of the most beautiful camping chairs in all of Australia:
Class, class, class! Don't mind Clark's face, he was probably mad at me or something. And don't mind the clothes rack in the background.
Now when we invite people over it will be BYOC- bring your own chair. We'll supply the dinnerware but not the chairs. We're excellent hosts.
IN OTHER NEWS...
**I want to boast about my silicone ice cube trays! One of the main things I wanted this past Christmas was silicone ice cube trays because I always, without fail, crack the plastic trays trying to get ice out. They were too expensive in the states (read: $12 a tray) so Clark bought me... you guessed it... more plastic trays.
Who knew I'd have to travel all the way to Australia, to the finest Reject Shop, to pick up these beauties!? They were a steal and I'm so stoked on my silicone ice cube trays. Nothing says a cold drink like strawberry shaped ice in liquid!
**Easter is a MAJOR holiday here. Not that it isn't in America. We've got the Easter bunny and Easter egg hunts and the whole shebang. But here...it's a public holiday. Along with Good Friday. That would never fly in America. We were shocked to learn that people get Good Friday and Easter Monday off from work (since Easter falls on Sunday). I'm not complaining though, working public holidays is double time and a half here.
**We are love, love, loving YouTube. Always have, but our love has become deeper most recently. We can't access Netflix here. And we had to reformat our laptop to the Australian region in order to watch our Australian purchased DVDs. Via YouTube we are catching up on our Man v. Food episodes and re-watching previous episodes from season 1 and season 2. I can't get enough of Adam Richman and his food challenges. Best TV personality, in my opinion. Totally gets me pumped to move back East and try out all the places he visits!
**Just found out that--in addition to Clark having two bro's and their wives back East--my little brother and his wife will be moving to Maryland! So excited that we'll be near so much family in the future!
**We just booked our flights to New Zealand in June. We can't wait! It's going to be cold but we're considering renting a camper van and touring the country that way. It could be interesting...
And, I think that's all for today. Happy Monday or Tuesday to you all, where ever you may be!
No comments:
Post a Comment