Clark and I celebrated our 4 year wedding anniversary in Cape May, New Jersey.
It is such a gorgeous resort town with picturesque Victorian houses and bed & breakfasts scattered all throughout the town. We stayed at this B&B. Very classy, indeed.
I found the interior decor to be so appealing! I just love the Victorian vintage flair. I'm pretty sure Clark couldn't care less about the interior, but I loved it.
Interestingly, the armoire in the room opened up to the tub! Not gonna lie, watching tv from a whirlpool tub is pretty stellar.
After we got settled in our room, we drove a few miles away to Sunset Beach to view the Atlantic ocean and a concrete ship (the S.S. Atlantus) that sunk earlier in the 20th century. Long story short, it was being transported somewhere and got stuck on a sand bar. Large ships made of concrete just weren't meant to be very useful.
Clark staring out at the sunken Atlantus.
The Cape May lighthouse. I was expecting it to be near the water and not in the middle of a neighborhood (which is basically where it is located). Clark thinks my expectation of what a lighthouse should look like is too unrealistic. Nay. I'm sorry if I expect every lighthouse to be perched atop a sea cliff, overlooking crashing waves and jagged rocks. This just means I have to visit Maine where I am sure my expectations will be fulfilled.
Cape May harbor. We had the most difficult time deciding where to eat. It basically came down to The Lobster House and the Lucky Bones Bar and Grille. We ended up at Lucky Bones, where I was still able to get a seafood dish--clam cakes. They were so rich and creamy. I wish I would have photo documented them.
The next morning I took a stroll through Cape May streets while Clark took his post-breakfast nap. This hotel is so gorgeous, but it is shut down during the winter months. We realized on day 1 that many of the towns established restaurants/B&B/hotels close during the winter months since cold winter weather doesn't exactly beckon travelers and tourists.
Oh, to have a residence that overlooks the ocean! Or any body of water, for that matter!
I just love this one. The top floor even has a staircase that leads to a gazebo on the roof. Looks like the prime location for a Tobler gathering.
We actually got lucky and had decent weather. I think the temp was in the high 60's, but the wind coming off of the ocean was still really chilly! I told Clark that we couldn't visit Cape May and not walk out on the sand and touch the frigid water. We had to do it.
The sand felt so nice! I can't wait for some real beach weather and maybe even a day or two of beach action this summer! But we'll have to find free beaches. The beaches in Cape May require that you purchase "beach tags." Man, even the beaches in Europe and Australia are free. What is up with this.
After getting our fill of ocean, sand and Victorian houses, we drove back to Philly, had a nice workout at the gym, ordered Pho takeout, and watched Contagion (such a romantic movie, I know).
We had to improvise with massive bowls.
It was such a fun and relaxing couple of days! I love you more than ever, Clark! Thank you for all of your support and for working so hard for us. Let's make year 5 the best yet! Did you know that wood is the traditional anniversary gift for 5 years of marriage? I'll be expecting a totally awesome, whittled figurine of some sort next year ;)
4 comments:
Aww Happy Anniversary you two love birds! Looks like it was a perfect place to celebrate :)!
We love Cape May. We went around Halloween one year and it was the greatest.
There's a free beach down at Cape May Point State Park (the state park area close to the lighthouse). The beaches are also free in Atlantic City and Wildwood.
Cape May is now on my list of places to visit.
Happy Anniversary! What a fun little trip. Just a little jealous. I think year number four was the year Jeromy forgot!! Lets just say, he's never gonna forget again :) Anyways, I'm loving the architecture and decor as well!
Post a Comment