Thursday, January 27, 2011

A delightful few days

Actually, we've had about five delightful days off from work.  Originally I had requested these days off so we could venture up to Idaho for a possible snowshoe expedition with Clark's uncle.  Then we realized we had too much to do and we never finalized the snowshoe plans.  Ahhhhh, maybe someday.  

I'm not sure that we actually accomplished anything noteworthy during these five days off other than checking items off of our TO DO list.  I'd like to say we were super productive and checked EVERYTHING off our list, but we hung out and relaxed a little too much.  But that's ok because we needed time to just be with one another.  I've been too stressed about something that is way out of my control and Clark has had to be my Consolator on more than one occasion.  So, what did we do?   We sold one of our dressers, Clark jammed with BJ a couple of times, we bought TurboTax (which is half the battle right there) but failed to do our taxes, we found an awesome thrift store that has rejuvenated my love for thrifting, we bought a rather large piece of luggage that we may have to return if our visas aren't granted, we went to the Carl Bloch exhibit at BYU's art museum, we met Nick and Tallie's little boy Ezra, we went to bed at 9:30 one night and slept for 12+ hours, we watched some movies and The Office, and we've been looking up our visa statuses constantly on the computer.  I've been trying to be patient, but I can't help but feel a little anxious.  Why, oh why, do these things take so long?

So...wanna see some of my thrift store treasures?  Sure you do :)

I am so excited to read The Help!  I have heard nothing but great reviews!  I have been wanting to read it since 2009 (a patient at work actually tipped me off that it is a great read) and every time I try to check it out at the local library it isn't available.  And I don't like putting my name on reserve lists because I hate long waits.  So you can imagine my joy when I found a nearly perfect hardcover copy at Savers!  The Alchemist is supposed to be great as well.  I've read many of Paulo Coelho's novels and they are always quick reads and thought-provoking.  I think Clark could get through this one fairly quickly.  And just for the record...Clark just finished The Grapes of Wrath!  Way to go, Clark!  His goal for 2011 is to read one book per month.  

 A cute little pink cardigan.

A cute little cow(??) or giraffe inspired cardigan.
 A skinny brown belt and grey skirt.  Oh, how I love Savers!  DI has brought me no good fortune since moving to SLC.  Thrift stores are not and have never been created equal and I am so happy we stumbled upon a good one here...finally!  

And since we couldn't take any pictures of the Carl Bloch exhibit (we could take pictures at the Prado Museum in Madrid but not the BYU art museum??? hmmmmmm), here is a picture of the admission ticket to the exhibit.  If you live near Provo and appreciate religious art, I highly recommend checking out the Carl Bloch exhibit.  And the best part is it's free.

7 comments:

Stephanie Tobler said...

Fabulous finds!

The Mom Tobler said...

Great finds! I'd go with giraffe inspired cardigan since I haven't seen any cows wearing that print lately...but then I haven't really seen that many giraffes.

Rach and Clark said...

Ahhhh, Giraffe is the animal I was looking for! I totally couldn't think of the correct animal the cardigan reminded me of...so thank you! Maybe I should edit my post so I don't sound like such a fool!

Dagmara Ellison said...

Wow, I can't believe you are so close to leaving the States already - selling your furniture and such! I really hope you will get the visas and that we will get to see you in Australia. It is not looking as good for us right now (as far as having the time to go to Australia) but we are not giving up just yet. I just recently purchased the same book as you (The Help) along with another great read The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon and can't wait to read them! Let me know how you liked it!

k and p said...

The help is one of my most favorite recent reads! Hope you enjoy it too!

Janet said...

Love the finds..hoping I can find some good ones around our new home :)

Brian and Carly said...

We totally need to hit that exhibit. Talking about, need to get around to it! LOVED The Help. Awesome read! PS: watched Social Network with Bri. I really like it. Crazy story.