Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Petticoat Experiment

(This post really has nothing to do with petticoats.  But petticoats are frilly and feminine, so I feel it is an appropriate term to title my forthcoming experiment.)

I'm going to do a little experiment throughout the entire month of May.  Each day I have to wear a skirt or a dress.  Why, you may wonder? Because I have been feeling Blah for the last 14 months, and I'm tired of feeling this way.  And since I feel my most feminine and pretty when I wear a skirt or dress, I am going to do so for an entire month.  Obviously, it will be a very subjective experiment.  But I'm curious to find out whether I'll feel better about myself June 1st. 

I told Clark about this experiment about a month ago.  We were hanging out having some pillow talk and I said: I want to start trying.  Without getting into too much detail, this all stems from 1. growing out unruly bangs over the course of the last year 2. not having a decent hair straightener in Australia because of the different outlet voltages and my penny-pinching pocket (No, I did not want to spend $200 on a hair straightener so yes, my hair was always frizzy and far from cute), and 3. lounging in my robe or workout clothes far too often. I then presented to him my idea of wearing a skirt or a dress each day for a month.  He thought it was a good idea.  I think he likes when I try to look my best.

Of course, I won't wear skirts/dresses when exercising or sleeping.  But if I'm just lounging around, I have to lounge in a skirt.  If we go out to the grocery store or the Dollar Store (cause we are that classy), I have to wear a skirt.  If we're meeting up with friends or going out to dinner, I can't leave the house in anything but a skirt or dress.  I'm not sure how I'll hold myself accountable.  I'm working on that part of the experiment.

If anyone else is interested, feel free to join me in this endeavor.  Maybe we could hold each other accountable. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Hubba, Hubba. Am I right?
Consider yourself lucky.  I could have posted a picture of a much more provocatively dressed model. This is dead sexy for the 1800's.

PS, Just watched the most depressing movie ever.  DON'T rent Melancholia.  So, so depressing.  Since when does the Earth actually blow up at the end of a movie?  Sorry, I just spoiled the ending for you.  Now there is no reason for you to watch it so stay far, far away.
The Descendants was good, though.  Definitely worth renting.

4 comments:

Tara said...

I think that is a GREAT idea. Don't know if I own enough skirts and dresses but I totally get where you are coming from. Also I love how you saved your readers from movie rental doom, awesome :)

Rach and Clark said...

Hiiiiiii, Tara! It's so nice to hear from you! PS, I just checked out your blog and you write so beautifully! Thanks for thinking this is a good idea. I definitely do not have 30 dresses/skirts but it'll be an opportunity to play mix and match with my clothes. It'll work out :)
I'm so excited that you have a blog...it'll be nice to keep in contact.

Janet said...

That's a great goal! Not sure I'm ready to commit to the challenge with you yet :).

Zack said...

A few years ago a made a much less specific goal to dress better in public and I've never looked back.

I pretty much never wear a t-shirt, jeans or shorts out of the house anymore and it feels good.