Saturday, August 6, 2011

The last of our Aussie culinary adventures

Two days before we left Oz we finally fried up some kangaroo steak.  It's a red meat and it's really lean.  We decided to buy the pre-marinated meat since we had no idea how to season it.  But Clark thinks he's an expert seasoner, so he seasoned the meat in addition to the marinade.  

I'm a meat lover, but I even have to admit that it looks disgusting.

Clark taking his first bite...

And the verdict is: good.  Clark claims it tasted like chicken.  I didn't think so.  It tasted like a cute, cuddly baby kangaroo to me.  

Then, the day before we left we decided to try a pie from the Cronulla Pie Shop.  Meat pies are mega popular in Oz, and Clark and I would often buy the frozen packages of pies at the store.  But we had never been to an actual pie shop for a real fresh pie.

We decided to eat our shared pie down at water, to soak up our last day on Cronulla Beach.  The pies look similar to the American chicken or beef pot pies, but they have more of a pastry crust.  Also, they just seem to taste better than the American frozen pies. It's got to be that pastry crust.

Though I didn't like the kangaroo steak, I am glad we gave it a try because I will never have to wonder what it tasted like.  If you ever have the opportunity to try kangaroo, give it a go.  I would love to hear how it goes for you.

No comments: