Thursday, July 14, 2011

Bush walking, bowling & more explorations of Sydney.

For the sake of keeping things simple, I am condensing what should be three separate blog posts into just one.  What can I say, I strive for simplicity.
The other week we went on a bush walk with our friend Joanne.  Australia doesn't really have forests so we can't call it a forest walk.  Australia has "bush" and thus it is a bush walk. I love hiking and walking/wandering aimlessly BUT I have officially decided I don't like bush walks.  I'm never prepared with the right clothing (i.e. long pants) and I hate when the bushes constantly scrape my legs.  It's unpleasant.  And makes me want to scream.  But I like my friend Joanne and my husband Clark so I decided not to unleash my temper and 5 year old personality on our walk.  That is willpower, my friends.


Some poor soul is completely devastated about the cyclists... READ THIS

The first part of the walk.  Nice wide path, just the way I like 'em. Here in Australia, at least.

Joanne wanted me to get a picture of her with the pretty flowers, and then Clark told me to get a picture of him poking Joanne with a stick.  So I managed to fulfill two demands in one photo.  Awesome.

I guess I'm just a little more flexible than Clark.  I am totally going to do the splits by the end of the year.  And a pull up.  I have yet to do one!

Trying to make Joanne feel awkward.

I thought I was jumping into Clark's photo but it turns out he was aware of what I was doing the whole time.  Dang it.

Joanne climbing a tree.

Crawling and climbing on natural rock formations in the bush.

Sydney from a distance!

We thought this waterfall would be a site to behold.  The hiking guides make it out to be something amazing.  Not that it isn't amazing, but you know what, I'm waaaaay taller than it.  So no, it's not that amazing.

Playing with the aperture. 

Joanne's photo of Clark that I just love.  

Sweet reflections.

Clark found a javelin in the bush.  He gots skills.

I just love the forehead kiss.  Gets me every time.

 So the bush walk basically started at one train station and ended at another.  After our incredibly long walk--maybe the longest walk I've ever been on?--we treated ourselves to Cheese & Bacon Balls.  Thank you, Cheetos.  Clark did not partake but we thoroughly enjoyed our cheesy bacon balls!  Maybe we just bought them because the name is so fun to say: Cheese & Bacon Balls.

Then...a few nights later it was Joanne's husband Ivan's birthday.  Since Joanne had to work the evening shift at the hospital, Clark and I spent the day with Ivan.  And at night Ivan wanted to bowl.  So to the bowling Alley we went.  

I am embarrassed of Clark's form.  Just downright embarrassed.

Ahhh yes, the bowling leg kick. Proper form, Clark! 

Ivan's got it down, too.

I, on the other hand, roll too slow and can't even throw the damn ball straight.  So I can't even focus on a proper leg kick after I let go of the ball.  PS, I asked Clark to not get an "ass shot" but he didn't understand that concept.  Sorry about the booty shot, y'all.  

 And...just this past Tuesday Clark and I went on another excursion to the city.  We went back to Kings Cross initially, to take pictures of the nasty hotel we had to stay in one of our first nights here in Australia.  But Clark wants to post those pictures along with his own story in his own words--hopefully sooner than later.  From Kings Cross we ventured to the botanical gardens area, which is just east of downtown.

Here we are a Woolloomooloo Bay wharf.  Way too many o's in that one.  

Old steps leading up to the botanical gardens.

St. Mary's Cathedral and the tower.

St. Mary's.

We went in the Cathedral to look around.  Gorgeous stained glass.  We weren't allowed to take pictures, but man, it was beautiful.  In my future castle I want 75% of my windows to be stained glass.  Biblical or nature themed, it's all good.

Hyde Park.


The Sydney Hospital.  Still in working order?  You know it.  

 The mascot (??) outside the front of the hospital. 

A beautiful fountain in the hospital courtyard.

Martin Place.

The Rocks.

Cockatoo perching.

Ahhhh, the shot I have been waiting months to take.  The Opera House and Bridge!  I was hoping for darkness so that the Opera House and Bridge would be all lit up, but we had other time commitments to keep.  A sunset-kissed photo works pretty well, I suppose.

Thank you, kind stranger, for taking a picture of us, even if we do block out a good portion of the Opera House.

Downtown Sydney from the botanical gardens.

And that same night we had a belated birthday dinner for Ivan at an Indian restaurant.  I so wanted to steal the water cup.  I found it fascinating that I could be drinking out of something that should have flowers potted in it.  And garlic and cheese naan is the bomb.  Diggity.  Yes, I just typed that.  And I won't erase it.

SOFT DRINK.  No frills, indeed.

I can't wait to do a grocery post.  I must get on that asap.  There are some weird food items here.  And I'm not just talking about kangaroo meat.  Weet-Bix, cordial, sultanas...

2 comments:

The Mom Tobler said...

Great pictures, Great post. You both make me laugh.

The Boones said...

Love reading about your adventures down under! Looks like you are having a blast!