We got the girls fixed in March. Ruthie (not pictured in this post) had gone through heat about 2-3 weeks prior. Doris had just started a few days before.
So I guess when a cat is going through heat her particular lady parts are engorged and it makes the surgery a little more difficult. So the vet tacks on an extra fee for surgery. Ok, fine. Understandable. But man, after surgery if you don't purchase all the suggested post surgical items (protective collars, pain medications) you might as well be Satan. We were charged extra for both cats, even though I truly think Ruthie was probably fine because, like I mentioned, she had gone through heat weeks before and she ended up recovering just fine from surgery. I left the basement surgery clinic having purchased pain medications for only one cat (with the intention of using the medication for both) and zero protective collars. I thought the girls would be fine without them.
I brought both girls home and you could just tell Doris was out of it. We gave them both water and Doris would lap some of it up and then stick her paws in it and play with it. For minutes on end. I think she was having little kitty hallucinations. Ruthie acted absolutely fine, like nothing major had happened earlier in the day and was doing things she wasn't supposed to do right after surgery, like jump onto tabletops and counters.
As the evening wore on, Doris kept trying to lick at her incision site. Dang cat. I didn't get a collar because I didn't think we would need one, and also because I'm too cheap to buy something that we might only be using for a few hours. So Clark and I brainstormed and googled and decided to try a DIY protective cat collar.
TA-DA! Post surgical paper plate kitty protective collar! All we did was cut a paper plate to fit around her neck.
Doris was so out of it, the paper plate was really all that was needed to keep her from reaching her incision site.
It worked!
Nothing says fancy like a DIY paper plate cat collar, am I right?
3 comments:
Love it. Way to beat the system. I love free solutions.
Oh she is so beautiful! Love cheap fixes, I've seen milk carton collars as well.
Smart thinking...we didn't think to put one on Catarina. Glad they are doing ok now :).
Post a Comment