Sunday, September 29, 2013

Great Dates

Well, our "Museum Saturday" idea is already bust.  It was far too ambitious of an idea anyway.  Different museum/sight of interest every weekend?  Ummmmm, that's highly unlikely.  We've now agreed upon the Monthly Museum Saturday.  Ah yes, this sounds much more attainable!

The past few weekends we've focused our efforts on eating straight up amazing foods rather spend $$ to get into museums around the city.  Last weekend we went out to eat at El Rey, an authentic Mexican food establishment downtown.  We both really wanted Mexican food that wasn't Chipotle, and we hemmed and hawed over the idea of patronizing yet another Steven Starr restaurant for like an hour before we finally decided to just give it a try.  It was actually a winner.  We requested a booth, which is probably what made our dining experience so positive.

They even had nachos that rivaled AZ's Pita Jungle blue corn nachos!  Though I must admit, Pita Jungle's blue corn nachos will forever be a personal favorite. I know this photo isn't the best of quality and maybe the nachos don't even look that appetizing, but trust me, they were GOOD.

Clark got beef brisket tacos. Only he didn't realize they would be miniature dollhouse sized.

I had some amazing green chile enchiladas.  

Upon leaving we saw a Ghost busters car!  I'm still wondering if they were able to trap Slimer in a super fancy restaurant that night.

We drove a mile and then decided we were hungry for something sweet.  So we stopped at a cookie food truck!  

They were absolutely scrumptious. And worth the purchase because there is no way I can bake cookies this good myself.  Also, the sensor in our oven is off and that is a good excuse to buy cookies rather than make them.

On our way home we saw students (??) playing with light sabers at a near by park.  I bet it would seem more fun and exciting if I've actually seen the Star Wars movies.  But I haven't. 

This weekend I made a home cooked meal on Friday night (oh how I've missed those! I live off canned soup and frozen burritos during the week) and yesterday we decided to get really crazy and drive out to Costco.  And to an Italian bakery for some tomato pie. 

A life-size nutcracker!?!!???

YES, PLEASE!

The Italian bakery that was recommended to us by a coworker of Clark's.

It did not disappoint.  If you've never had an authentic tomato pie, I suggest you find your local Italian market and give it a try!

Our goal for October: Eastern State Penitentiary.  Just in case any one would like to accompany us in visiting a retired penitentiary where Al Capone spent some of his days.  

No comments: