So there was this awesome track meet last weekend in California, and a high school junior by the name of Mary Cain ran an astonishing 4:04.62 1500 meters.
4:04.62!!!! That's ridiculous and all together spectacular! She broke the American junior record, which should go without saying. She also hit the qualifying "A" standard (ran under an established time), meaning that if she quite possibly finishes top 3 at USA's, she will qualify for the world championship meet. As a junior in high school. I want to be disgusted with her but I'm just too stoked on how talented she is to even start to be disgusted by her abilities.
My best 1500m time in college was 4:19 so....yeah, this girl puts me to shame. Granted that was my junior year and I was hurt my senior year (Excuses, excuses. IT band problems are quite debilitating). My goal was always to run a 4:15. But that is no where near 4:04. That's like finishing nearly 100m behind Mary Cain. Hot damn, this girl is the real deal.
The only time I've witnessed her race was at last year's Penn Relays where she won the high school girl's mile in a time of 4:34 (or 4:35. I can't seem to find the final results of that race). As a freaking sophomore.
I'm so excited for this athlete. She's so young, full of potential, and has so many more opportunities to look forward to!
I'm excited to see whether she decides to go pro after high school or run collegiately. I'm just praying that if she does run in college that she won't choose Oregon. Stanford would even be a lesser evil. Colorado? Lesser evil. Just. Please. Not. Oregon. Villanova? Now, I could get on board with Villanova.
3 comments:
Outstanding, and so young! Only question, why not Oregon, the home of Prefontain? Dad Tobler
I'm going to tell my sister-in-law to read this post because while I may not fully understand this (though I can appreciate amazing athleticism), she will, and you deserve to have someone who understands read this :)
Oregon track and field is what the Chicago Bulls basketball team was during the early 90's: an unbeatable, dominating powerhouse. They are a fantastic team, but there are so many wonderful programs in this country with outstanding coaches, that I hate to see those programs get overlooked. Also, As a Sundevil, I naturally have a personal vendetta against the Ducks...
Post a Comment