Clark and I finally paid a visit to the Washington D.C. Temple. It's so lovely and much bigger than I expected. Aren't the gold spires just awesome?
Afterward we drove over to the Eastern Market specifically to have dinner at the Tortilla Cafe. I saw it on an episode of Diners, Drive- ins, and Dives and my mouth literally watered when this restaurant was featured. As for the Eastern Market: super lame. It's probably better on the weekend but it still doesn't compare to the Reading Terminal Market in Philly.
We shared a pupusa platter and a tamale platter. I had never had a pupusa and let me tell you, I am sold. They were delish. Everything was really tasty. I also tried a plantain for the first time. Where have I been all this time?
Scott and Dagmara were able to join us for dinner since she was able to get off of work early. The benefits of having a nice boss :) Since Scott's birthday was the following day, we decided to make this a celebration and treat them to dinner.
After dinner we made a stop at Krispy Kreme. Scott decided that he would rather have donuts than a cake for his birthday. To each his own.
On Scott's birthday we toured Arlington National Cemetery and witnessed the changing of the guard. I remember when Clark and I watched this same ceremony five years ago when we toured the cemetery with Kyle and Kim. It's such a humbling and beautiful ceremony.
From the cemetery we walked to the reflection pool, which is still under construction (it was under construction back in November). Funny thing is, Clark and I have yet to see the Washington Monument reflect off the water in the pool. Five years ago we visited and the pool wasn't filled with water. Guhhhh.
We were so happy we were able to make a quick trip down to D.C. to visit the Temple and see Scott and Dagmara, and celebrate Scott's birthday! Thank you guys for letting us stay with you on such short notice. Hopefully next time we visit, the reflection pool will be filled!
3 comments:
We discovered a little hole-in-the-wall diner here to get pupusa and we have it on our "take Clark-&-Rachel-when-they-come" list.
Um, I LOVE papusas and plantains. I dated a half Salvadoranian in high school and am still best buds with his whole family. SO GOOD!
Tami (Michael's sis) found some awesome pupusas at Costco, FYI, so to curb your craving, there you go. :)
Post a Comment