Sunday, October 16, 2011

Ellison + Tobler FUN

My Broseph and his wife Dagmara came to visit us earlier in the week.  It was a blast and I think we talked our apartment down so low that they were pleasantly surprised by its *mansion-like qualities.  Such as high ceilings.  

*We don't live in anything that remotely resembles a mansion.  Maybe I'll post a photo or two in the yonder future. When I actually take a photo of the place.

Back to the Ellison and Tobler FUN.  We had ourselves some.  And then some more, all within the confines of Philadelphia County.  And we were truly blessed with wonderful weather.  Always a plus when walking about a big city. 

We started the days 'o fun walking down Elfreth's Alley, a preserved street from the 1700's.  Way cool, and I think people still live in the houses as we saw a couple of cats in the windows.  Meow.  I miss Gretchen.



We then ventured to Christ Church, which was initially established in 1695.  The original structure was too small, however, and in early-mid 1700's the main body of the church was reconstructed into the building that still stands today.  




From Christ Church we walked past the first post office through this passageway.  Wow, Ben Franklin walked through here, too! This passageway actually led to where his house once stood.

We got to watch how a printing press operates.  It might not have been a printing press from the 1700's but it was still intriguing to watch. I guess Clark got bored and distracted.

We also got to view the original floor of Ben Franklin's home.  From this quote, he sounds like a condescending jerk. 

Clark looks so happy and carefree, like a little boy.  He's so cute. I'm sure you can probably guess that Franklin Court was where B. Franklin's house was located, as well as the post office and printing press.

Independence Hall with lovely scaffolding.  

The crowds to see the Liberty Bell were pretty massive.  I guess we did venture out on Columbus Day, but still.  

At the Reading Terminal Market Scott and Dagmara enjoyed a Dinic's roast pork sandwich.  Clark convinced them they had to try one.  I opted for a fresh pretzel.  

Clark just can't get enough of these roast pork sandwiches.  Do you see that excitement!? Pure happiness and excitement in his face!

The Dept. of Treasury was closed, but we plan on going back at some point. 

Throwing a mini tantrum.  It was bound to happen at some point during the day.

View of the city from the Art Museum parking lot.  Straight ahead is City Hall.

Luckily, the tour buses left shortly after we arrived.

Dagmara and I just being....girls.

The Rocky statue was mega popular.  Even with prepubescent kids that probably have never even seen the movies.

We did run up the steps, by the way.  Channeling our inner Rocky.  

So cute! I'm so lucky to have such a great brother and sister in law!

Clark felt left out of the preceding picture.

Clark didn't lift his arms in triumph, but he's still a champion to me.  (Did I really just type that!?)

Dang it.  We didn't actually see the Seaweed Girl.  Next time.  Gotta get me a picture with this statue!

Well, we actually found ourselves back at the market again the following day.  And look at these chocolates!  

The sticky note reads: Mike Tyson special ears that are ok to bite.

Fresh pretzels are pretty fantastic, just so you know.  Unlike the ones you can get at the mall, which taste like rubber.

At City Hall, the Occupy Philly protest was in action.  The dude in black sitting down had a sign that read Hungry for answers not food.  But I guarantee by 8 pm he was heading through the door of McDonald's that was just across the street.  Nice try dude, you don't fool me.  And nice iPhone, too.  I wish I could afford one.

Oh look, and a protester can afford a fixed gear bike?!


Back to Love Park. Weren't we just here? Yep. Another picture? Why not!

Got a little saucy with the Sorry! piece.

Working the camera.  Thanks for egging us on, Scott.

Since we don't yet have a sofa (we're terrible hosts, I know!) Clark and Scott played a few games of chess on the floor.

And Dagmara kindly washed some dishes for us.  

Thank you guys so much for visiting!  We had a great time and are so excited to get together again!  Maybe next time you come we'll have a sofa and a tv so we don't have to cram chairs around our computer to watch Modern Family!

2 comments:

Riggs Familia said...

haha! i love the tantrum picture!

Dagmara Ellison said...

Thank you guys for having us over! We had a really good time! We hope to see you next weekend:-) and finally do some thorough D.C. touring:-)