Sunday, October 9, 2011

According to my Nursing 720 textbook...

I have an upcoming test in my Nursing of Children Theory I: Child and Family Development, class.  As I've been skimming over the contents and of the chapters, I've noticed that the authors use some surprisingly contemporary language.  Below are a couple of excerpts that have caught my eye so far.

To put the sentence in the appropriate context, the author initially explains that most children develop normally but sometimes a clinician's approach can take on one of two extremes.  The first is approaching a each visit too superficially, the second is assuming every variation in a child is a disorder.  She then goes on to state:
"The first is demeaning to a family and usually means that the clinician doesn't have a clue as to what's up."
Hmmmmmmm...maybe the authors are from some inner city, hard knock lifestyle?  Or maybe it's the exact opposite.  Perhaps the authors are country bumpkins who are trying to identify with clinicians who have grown up in da hood. What up, dawg.

Here's the second excerpt.  I don't feel like I need to explain the context of the next sentence.
"The baby's orgasmic smiles, laughs and total body wiggles are a terrific reward for a few tickles or a play face expression."
Oh, come on!  I don't believe for a second that the authors couldn't determine a more appropriate adjective do describe a baby's smile.  Delightful? Enchanted, maybe? I realize that a baby's smile is very, very exciting for both baby and mommy/daddy, but is it really orgasmically exciting?  But I guess I don't know.  I don't have kids.  Parents, just how exciting is a baby's smile?  Please don't answer this. 

I'm glad I'm just skimming the material because I can't even begin to imagine the jewels I would probably find if I read every sentence.

Sentences courtesy of Encounters with Children, Pediatric Behavior and Development, written by Suzanne D. Dixon and Martin T. Stein.  I am not providing you an APA reference on this, sorry.

1 comment:

Chad said...

What a garbage text. Is it the professor's or his buddies? I would complain. So many books out there, it should not be hard to find a good one.

Chad