Tuesday, March 8, 2011

We made it

Hi.

Did you miss us?  I swear we're still alive.  We just don't have the patience/desire to blog as of late.

We made it to Australia in one piece.  Plane ride was SAAWEEET!  We were the only two in our three person row, we had individual movie screens that allowed Clark and I to watch three movies apiece AND we got two free meals!  Our trip almost paid for itself!

And then we landed and s**t hit the fan.  Even if you do speak the language of the country you are moving to, stress still abounds when you don't know another soul other than your spouse, you end up in several dingy hotel rooms and the rental market is as fierce as...well, I can't think of a good analogy at the moment.  Not having an apartment or permanent accommodation has kept us stressed for days.  We have been looking for a rental since day 1 and, God willing, we will have an apartment by the end of the week.  That is, if Chase Bank doesn't screw up the international wire transfer and not send it through like they're supposed to...my goodness I sound pessimistic lately.  I knew we should have brought cashier's checks.  We could have paid our bond (security deposit) and first month of rent without any problems.  I am just so tired of being homeless.  And let's face it, sleeping in youth hostels and dingy hotels is not good for your love life.  It's our 3rd Anniversary today and we're stuck sleeping in bunk beds.  Lame.

We've taken very few pictures thus far.  I would post them but I just don't have the energy.  Maybe when we get our own apartment and my stress level falls to a more normal range.  In case you're wondering, we haven't even seen Sydney Harbour yet. That is how hard we have been apartment hunting!  We have seen the beach though, and since we're staying in a youth hostel down by Cronulla Beach it would be a shame if we hadn't seen it yet.  But we have.  Phew.  We've seen something noteworthy.

Please, pray for us, if you think we deserve it.  Hell, even if you don't think we deserve it, we could use all the prayers/good karma you can send our way!  We need a place to live!  The sooner the better, or I may just have to come home.  I'm serious.  Homelessness and living out of suitcases is not fun.

Hopefully in the next week or so we'll feel capable of posting some of the few pictures we have taken so far.  One picture is even of the bathroom at our first hotel.  Get excited!  Peeling paint and mildew!

Oh, and Vegemite is...not tasty.  Like spreading bouillon onto bread.

6 comments:

Karl said...

We're praying! What an adventure...what memories.

Emily said...

Rachel,
Keep your head up! I know y'all will find a place and then get to explore everything in Australia!! I can't wait to read about everything!!! Good luck!!

Em and Ms said...

At lest the plane ride was nice, right? Someday you'll laugh about these adventures. Until then, I sincerely hope things work out for you soon and you have a place to live.

Anonymous said...

Rach, I promise this will come to pass. Did I ever tell you about our last day in Mexico (when I went with Laura)? What an adventure your having and someday you'll be able to laugh at this! But, I will pray that you find permanent housing soon! Katie

Brian and Carly said...

Holy cow! Look at you guys! Our adventures these days consist of going to the gas station for a snack and venturing out to the backyard! I'm jealous! Good luck with the apartment. Hopefully you'll snag something TODAY!

Neil & Teri said...

Continued good luck! Hope you find a place fast. Prayers will be made. Thanks for all the photos in your blog. I just downloaded and saved a bunch of them. Good to have a bunch of family photos! Good luck and all our love,

Neil and Teri