I gave blood.
I have a list of life goals that Clark says I could complete in a week. Giving blood is on that list. Doing one (just one!) pull up/chin up is on that list as well. I may tackle that goal next.
Giving blood has been one of my life goals for a very long time. It is also something Clark has wanted me to do for a very long time. But I'll let you in on a secret. I hate needles. Just because I'm a nurse and I get to start IV's and give shots and vaccinations does not mean I am immune to the fear of needles. Little 25 guage needles don't scare me. It's the big 18 guages that freak me out. And I've always been told that huge needles are used when you donate blood. So I have never done it. And my other excuse is that I run and I need my energy to run, obviously.
Well I woke up on Monday morning and ran before leaving for the blood bank. I was pretty nervous the whole drive and through the whole interview process. When they stuck the needle in it did sting, but it wasn't a terrible pain. I didn't watch, of course. But I watched when the lady stuck the needle in Clark's arm and surmised that they use 16 guage needles. Those things look like capri sun straws! Clark beat me and took only 5 minutes to fill his bag; I took 10 minutes. Go figure.
Overall, it was a positive experience and I will donate again, it just won't be for awhile. I am still feeling a little sluggish two days later.
3 comments:
Congratulations on making it threw! When i went to check off my goal of giving blood I passed out, i didn't even get to the blood giving part, just the finger prick! The nice lady told me to come back in a few years when i was older, patted my arm and pointed me to the snack table...lol!
Awesome!
Good job Rachel, maybe one day I too can donate blood :). I admire those that can do it and do it often :).
Post a Comment