Sunday, June 12, 2016

The Valley of the Sun

Several weeks ago Clark and I flew out to AZ for a long weekend.  
It was much overdue. It had been six years since we had last seen our house and our friends.
Six. Years.

We took care of the "business" aspect of the trip the day we arrived and then had plenty of time to play.  Interestingly, right after we went to our house, conducted some biznuss and dropped 7k on a new a/c unit (because our money ain't gonna spend itself!), we drove to the grocery store we used to frequent and Clark mentioned how weird it would be if we were to run into anyone we knew.  Sure enough, we ran into one of his closest friends from nursing school! I love how sometimes we are reminded just how small this world really is.

We toured ASU's campus a few times and bought way too much swag. We ran South Mountain. We ate at ALL of our favorite restaurants. We saw all our favorite old friends.  I even got to swing by unannounced and see my old college coach!  It was a pretty great quick trip and made me realize how much I miss the desert.  

First stop after picking up the rental car..... In-N-Out! Always so, so good.

First of several tours of ASU's campus.  The library is still the same, but campus has definitely been upgraded.  Solar panels everywhere and long board racks for all the students who long board to/from class.



Palm walk is always so inviting, even in the relentless Arizona sun.

The Gilbert, AZ Temple.  We drove into and out of the parking lot in a matter of minutes, but we just wanted to prove we've seen with our eyes that it is finally completed!

Pita Jungle is probably the restaurant I've missed most since moving from AZ.  These are their blue corn nachos. Always tasty and I have convinced myself that the only thing bad about them is the cheese.  We went to the restaurant in Gilbert, and Clark had major culture shock as we sat down.  Let's just say, the diversity was lacking at this particular establishment, and Clark mentioned that he doesn't remember ever eating somewhere so "white."

Clark's nursing school friend, who we ran into our first day back in the Valley. Erin was so gracious and invited us over to swim that weekend. We definitely took her up on her offer.

My friend's husband owns his own limo business. So you'd better believe we rolled into old town Gilbert in this rig! Both Clark and I had never been in a limo before. I guess we both failed to live out the high schooler dream and we never took a limo to a dance as teenagers.


Dinner in old town Gilbert with Chris and Heather.  

After running South Mountain.  I don't know how we used to do it in college.  Those hills are no joke. 

We stopped by a store in Guadalupe we used to love going to, and browsed tons of pottery from Mexico.  We found this ?fertility? statue.  Clark really wanted to get it.  I told him I didn't think it was worth the $70.  Then he said, well if we don't get pregnant quickly you'll know why!  
Shoot, did I curse us by not buying the fertility statue?!?

We took a drive out to Tortilla Flats with some of our friends and stopped to take in the scenery along the way. 

 


 Louie and I discussed life and running, and somehow he remembered I once had a 509 area code. 





Near the downtown ASU campus, where the nursing school is now located.

Chicken and waffles never, ever disappoint, and Lolo's does it better than most. Last time we ate here was following Clark's nursing school graduation in 2009.


 Kevin and Desirae just had a baby the day before, but were still willing to visit with us for a bit.  It was so great seeing them and seeing how big their family has gotten!

I also want to mention that we saw our good friends Becky and Trevor, but we failed to get a picture with them. Actually, following their visit was when we decided that we should try to take pictures with all our friends, since we have no idea when we'll be back again.  We're so grateful for everyone who took time out of their lives to visit with us!  We love you all, we love Arizona, and hopefully it won't be too long until we come back (either for a visit or possibly to live!).

2 comments:

Janet said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time, glad that you got to do and see so many of your friends. I think just looking at the fertility statue and taking a picture you are probably fine!

Stephanie Tobler said...

That statue!! Man what a treasure! Does this mean you're trying?! Looks like a great trip!