Monday, February 25, 2013

Southeast Asia Part VI: Bangkok

"Bangkok has him now, and she'll never let him go." - The Hangover 2

We'd heard conflicting opinions about Bangkok before travelling to SE Asia.  Most people we had talked to stated that Bangkok was just a big, dirty, smoggy city. We probably wouldn't like it, they'd say.  There are too many people and it's always so hot.
I feel like we barely scratched the surface in Bangkok. We needed at least another 3-4 days there.  From my experience, I found the city to be charming, in the big city-everywhere you walk is crowded-but oh my gosh look at all the street vendors and custom tailor shops-type of way.  I loved it!  We took a river taxi to see the grounds where the major palaces are located, however we didn't get a chance to see the Grand Palace and the Emerald Buddha.  Uggggghhh. We got Clark a custom made suit that is smokin' hot.  We shopped at the Weekend Market which was both awesome and awful.  I got the worst, most painful pedicure of my life down the street from our hotel. All in all though, it was a great trip and I can't wait to go back! 
Now onward with the photos!   I took way less photos in Bangkok. I think I was tired of trying to capture every moment and realized that by doing so I was missing precious moments of time with my friends and my husband.  So this post is going to be much shorter than the rest, as I'm sure you'll be relieved to know!
Here's Clark looking super excited on the water taxi.  I'm not gonna lie, it was pretty awesome.

The sky only threatened rain. We lucked out and the weather cooperated.







Wat Arun (Buddhist Temple) as seen from across the river from where we disembarked from the river taxi. We didn't have a chance to make it there either, dang it.

Walking by some vendors on our way to Wat Pho.



I just love when my fish has that subtle taste of exhaust, don't you!?


Tuk tuks.  No, we didn't ride in one.  We heard way to many negative things about them. But gosh dang, aren't they cute?

The Grand Palace is located withing these walls.  It still hurts to think that we were so close yet couldn't see everything we wanted to.

Our tickets to enter Wat Pho, a Buddhist Temple you can read about here.

I guess we fit into the category of foreigners since I can't read what the other sign with the arrow says...

Free water for tourists? Yes, please! 





One of the largest reclining Buddhas in the world. 



People were making offerings with coins they had purchased to drop into the black cauldrons. A lady (as seen in front of these two girls making offerings) collected the offered coins in a yellow tub, likely so the coins could be re-sold to be offered again. Very interesting.







I love this group shot.

I love this group shot even more because of the dude photo-bombing our picture! It makes me smile every time.



This here's the money shot. I think Clark captured this one. I just love how it's composed and how you can see the Thai flag through the multiple thresholds. After this we had to hurry back to the suit shop so Clark could complete his first fitting.  We took a taxi back--literally an hour and a half ride to the suit shop near our hotel--and it only cost the equivalent of $5 American.  *Sigh* I love Thailand.

So we didn't even know about the weekend market until our taxi driver the day before told us about how wonderful it is and how a person could buy almost anything at this market.  I have never seen such a place in my life.  It was HUGE! Pictures don't do it justice.  I couldn't get very good shots because it was crowded and I was more interested in looking for treasures than taking photos, but I captured a few outside shots.  I couldn't capture any while we were walking in the covered area of the market because the walkways were just too narrow and crowded and I didn't want to be that person holding up others trying to get through.

Clark really, really wanted a picture with this Thai cowboy. 

I dubbed this the Shopping Death March, because it was so hot and humid, there was no where to sit, and Clark seemed to refuse me refreshing beverages when I needed something to quench my thirst. Nevertheless, we stayed at the market for 4 hours.

Walking back to the Sky Train, I stopped to take a picture of the covered stalls. Notice that they seem to go on and on? I kid you not, this market was massive and if I had 6 liters of fluid to drink I could have stayed longer. Believe it or not, I actually had to drag Clark away from this place, and he hates shopping.

Pink taxis and pink buses. Is there anything Thailand doesn't do right?!

We forgot to take a photo of our boutique hotel with the rooftop pool, but we did manage to get a picture of the condoms that are available through the mini bar!

The Terminal 21 mall, complete with a replica Golden Gate Bridge!

The mall was actually very cool. Each floor consisted of designers from different areas of the world. For example, the ground floor was Rome, thus all stores were Italian designers. The second floor was Paris, so it had only French/Parisian designer brands. There was even a floor dedicated to Thailand designers. I ended up buying the cutest summer dress from a Thai designer who was in the fashion business with his sister. Anyway, if you can't guess, there was an American inspired floor... with American foods.  Because Americans don't know fashion, they only know food...

So we ate some much desired Mexican food and enjoyed our last meal with our friends.

It was so sad to say good-bye to Ivan and Joanne, not knowing exactly when we'd see them again. Thank goodness for skype, but sometimes that doesn't cut it.  I love having friends that I consider family. Friends like Ivan and Joanne are so rare and I just hope we can organize another reunion in the not too distant future!

So Joanne and Ivan were flying out a bit later than us, and also flying back to Australia directly from Singapore. We had another two nights in Singapore left on our itinerary.  Our flight was an hour and a half earlier than theirs so we took a taxi to the airport, and decided to spend some of the last of our Thai baht on Durian candy. This fruit is ALL over SE Asia.  It's actually illegal in Singapore, I assume because of it's noxious/pungent smell. We hadn't yet tried it so we decided to try candy, that way we could also bring home a taste of Asia to our friends/family. While waiting for our flight, we both unwrapped a candy, counted to three, and popped them into our mouths. I spit mine out within seconds. Clark somehow managed to slowly chew and swallow his, but I think he found it painful. I'm so glad I didn't try the actual fruit because I'm sure I would have thrown up.  It smells like dirty feet/days old garbage to start with, and it tastes a little like sweetened garlic (the best way I've heard it described so far). I personally think it tastes like what dirty feet would taste like.  

Joanne and Ivan: we love you guys and can't wait for another reunion! Maybe Thailand again?! 

4 comments:

Janet said...

You must post pictures of your new summer dress and Clark's suit!
What an amazing time...

Shelby said...

I've actually had durian, the acual fruit! Some friends from Vietnam had it at their house in San Diego and it wasn't bad. I had been warned and heard all about the banning of it, etc. But it didn't taste bad at all. Maybe it got a little sweetened on the way over seas to the US :)

Rach and Clark said...

Shelby, I'm glad you had a good experience eating Durian. I'm usually very open about trying new things (new foods, that is) but that fruit was just too pungent for me to even want to try. Maybe you ate one that wasn't ripe, therefore the flavor wasn't as strong? ;) how would you describe the taste?
Janet we sure wish you guys could have been there with us. Let's plan a trip for 20 years down the road, when kids should be out of the house and we all might have some expendable income!

Shelby said...

It tasted kind of almond like and light in flavor, also it was creamy in texture. Apparently it's good as a shake, which I would've liked to try. What an awesome vacation you guys had!