Right after our return from NZ we flew down to Melbourne with our good friends Joanne and Ivan. We had a blast. We had such a good time eating out at fabulous restaurants for every meal, shopping at the Queen Victoria Market, strolling through the city streets taking in the awesome architecture, and visiting St. Kilda. We absolutely LOVED this city. We would liken it to San Francisco, our favorite city in the world. And we would liken Sydney to L.A. Sydney is a big city with lots of things to do and see, but it just doesn't have as much personality as Melbourne, just as L.A. doesn't have as much personality as San Francisco. Don't get me wrong, Sydney's still a cool place. (But Melbourne is cooler.)
Our first night out we opted for Chinese. We ate like royalty on this trip, whereas in NZ we "roughed it" and typically made our food, ate cup-o-noodles or ate at Subway.
The next day Joanne and I kind of went into a shopping frenzy. From our hotel we walked to the Queen Victoria Market where we purchased an absurd amount of Nashi pears. How can you not when they are $1 per kilogram!? They're so good once they hit your lips.
Avocados were just about as big as Joanne's face. Seriously, these were monstrous. And so, so tasty.
Clark enjoying a Nashi pear after making fun of me for buying 2 kilograms worth.
I love cheap, fresh produce. It makes my heart happy. Literally, in fact.
Not only did the market have produce, but it had art, clothing, etc, and leather jackets we came so close to purchasing. But we didn't give in to our lust for leather, even though the leather jackets were made in Australia and not China. My arms were just too long to fit the sleeves properly and I'm not sure what Clark's excuse was, but he didn't get one in the end. Instead we found ourselves scarves and I couldn't help but purchase these shoes. Too cute.
Joanne went crazy at the market. She is one great shopper, let's just put it that way. Here we are modeling her new dresses/tunics/whatever they are. You are never too old to play dress up.
Clark got cuddly with Joanne and Ivan's newly purchased wool rug.
No, don't jump to conclusions. Totally NOT pregnant. The dress just makes me appear as if I'm with child. Clark will make such a sophisticated father in the future.
Later that same day we took the tram to downtown.
Joanne and I couldn't figure out how to open this massive purse.
We loved the architecture of nearly every building.
Finders Railway Station.
A downtown street at night.
We did not eat at Gingerboy, but the name of the restaurant made it hard to pass up!
We chose a Greek restaurant instead. Their hot cocoa looked so pretty and tasted so good. Portions are just too small here.
Later that evening we decided to go to the movies. Most movies were sold out but for $20 a piece the boys were able to see X-Men and the girls were able to see Bridesmaids. That was the last time I will ever see a movie in Australia. I look forward to the dollar theatres back in the States. Cannot wait. In this particular mall there was this tower, and a huge cone that covered it as a roof. This is the clearest shot we could get, and you can't even tell the roof is cone-shaped.
The next day we decided to take a tram out to St. Kilda. Here is part of Melbourne's downtown during daylight hours. This is either the Anglican or Catholic church.
I feel like we ate nonstop. But everything was so tasty. Once night I had pumpkin and feta pasta dish. I don't even know the name of the noodle but they looked like little oval beads. Anywho, it was unbelievable.
St. Kilda harbor.
My Clark.
Downtown Melbourne from the wharf.
Joanne and I on one of the older trams.
Joanne and Ivan.
More of Melbourne.
Later that night we went on a Ghost Tour walk of the city. The tour ended at the Queen Victoria Market, which is actually built over cemeteries. Our tour guide was one interesting dude, and I think he had vampire teeth. And he talked with his fingers a lot. Clark does great impressions of him.
The next morning we ate a spectacular breakfast near the Queen Vic Market.
And within the hour we ate again at a pastry shop. We don't hold back, obviously.
Our food provided the nourishment needed to walk to this beautiful church. I am not sure if this is the Anglican or Catholic church.
Hanging out on these weird shapes.
Melbourne Park.
Shortly after we arrived to the airport, our flight was cancelled--along with every other flight out of Melbourne. The volcanic dust from Chile had made it's way over the ocean and I guess if ash gets in airplane engines, it's a bad thing. So right away Ivan booked us all first class train tickets out of Melbourne to Sydney that same night.
First class on a train wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Sleeping in any seat just sucks, regardless of how far back it reclines. It was an exhausting 13 hour overnight train ride, but we made it home in one piece.
I so wish we would have had more time to spend in Melbourne. There was so much left to do and see. Thanks, Joanne and Ivan, for joining us in Melbourne. You made our trip to Victoria extra fun!
3 comments:
Ohh WOW what a fun time. The food looked amazing and I love the pictures of the city. Cute shoes too!
Keep the adventures coming..I love living vicariously through you.
I order my dresses thru a company called Mikarose. I thought they looked pretty nice :)
Food, parks, beautiful old architecture, and lots of walking...the perfect type of adventure in my book.
An adventure wouldn't be complete without a super stressful surprise at the end...just ask Janet.
Ah yes, Mikarose. I'm very familiar with their dresses; I have the Eva. I haven't looked on their site in a loooong time because last time I tried to order a couple of dresses, they didn't have my size or the colors in stock. I'll have to check out and see what new stuff they have, thanks!
Post a Comment